BITS 0x800704DD in Powershell Script as Scheduled Task windows 2008 R2

1 comment

Posted on 16th May 2013 by Mike in Windows 2008 R2

, , , ,

Hello All,

I was stumped for a while on this one. I wrote a powershell script to backup databases and use BITS to transfer them over the network. It worked great in an elevated powershell but when I went to automate the script using a scheduled task I kept getting this error when it got to the bits xfer:

Start-BitsTransfer : The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not logged on to the network. The specified service does not exist.
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x800704DD)

There are several good explanations for the cause:
An Explanation of UAC and BITS
Dale Qiao’s Solution got me started
Issues With BITS (List of Errors and Why)

So what the hell is the solution?

In my case I needed an account that was a SQL sysadmin and a server admin. I used the task scheduler to run the tasks as the ‘system’ account.

1. Click Start Menu/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Task Scheduler
2. On the General tab click Change User or Group
3. Make sure “Select this object type” contains “Built-in security principal” and “From this location” contains the computer name.
4. In the “Enter the object name to select” type “SYSTEM” and click OK
5. Select “Run with highest privileges”

DCOM APPID E10F6C3A-F1AE-4ADC-AA9D-2FE65525666E CLSID D63AA156-D534-4BAC-9BF1-55359CF5EC30 Windows 2008 R2 SP1

0 comments

Posted on 9th May 2013 by Mike in Windows 2008 R2

, , , , , ,

If you’re running across the following error in your event logs:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63AA156-D534-4BAC-9BF1-55359CF5EC30}
and APPID
{E10F6C3A-F1AE-4ADC-AA9D-2FE65525666E}
to the user [username] SID [SID] from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Then you’ve probably edited or disabled the following windows task:
Task Scheduler Library/Microsoft/Windows/Defrag

By default it is set to run weekly. If you change it you will begin getting the error above. To fix the issue, undo your changes (set it to enabled and weekly, 1am every Wednesday of every week)